Swimming holes, pools and splash parks near Salem, Oregon
Beat the heat this summer at a local park, swimming pool or waterfall! Here are 20 places to cool off in the Mid-Willamette Valley:
1. Kids will enjoy the splash pad at Rotary Centennial Park in Newberg, Oregon. Etched in the shape of Yamhill County, the splash pad features 22 spray heads.
2. In Salem, there are seven parks that offer splash pads, including Riverfront Park, West Salem Park and River Road Park. The splash pads are open seven days a week during the summer.
3. In Independence, Oregon, the community's heated outdoor pool is typically open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Families can purchase a daily pass to open swim times for $12.
4. The outdoor pool in Carlton, Oregon, is open through Labor Day Weekend. On select evenings during the week, the pool hosts Zumba classes, adult lap swims and free teen swim nights.
5. The Burkland Pool, located in Turner, Oregon, is open through Sept. 2. The outdoor pool is 25 yards long, heated and has a diving board.
6. If you’re looking to get out of the sun, head to Wings and Waves Waterpark in McMinnville, Oregon. The indoor waterpark features 10 waterslides, a leisure pool and a vortex pool.
7. The Dallas Aquatic Center, located in Roger Jordan Community Park, has five pools, a waterslide, spray fountain and lazy river. The indoor facility offers recreational swim times throughout the week.
8. Purchase a day pass to spend the afternoon at The Salvation Army Ray & Joan Kroc Center in Salem. Visitors will have access to the aquatic center, fitness area, gym, game room and rock wall during open hours.
9. In Silverton, Oregon, the community pool has a removable cover that allows it to stay open year-round. It features a diving board and separate children's swim area.
10. The Stayton Family Memorial Pool, in Stayton, Oregon, has open swim times every day. The facility also hosts aquatic fitness classes, water sports and swim lessons.
11. The Woodburn Aquatic Center offers access to all of its indoor swimming facilities through day passes. The aquatic center boasts a water slide, rope swing, wading pool and lap pool.
12. The entire family will enjoy an afternoon at the Chehalem Aquatic Center in Newberg. The six-lane pool extends from 3'2" deep to 11' deep. It's equipped with a tube slide, rope swing, tot docks and diving board. Adults can relax in the hot tub or sauna. The center is currently undergoing renovations to build a new aquatic center, which is slated to open Feb. 2018.
13. Detroit, Oregon, is home to the “most visited lake in Oregon,” making it a popular location for boating, fishing and swimming. The Mongold Day Use area includes a swimming area, grass beach and boat ramp.
14. Upper Arm Day Use Area sits on a quiet cove of the Breitenbush Arm of Detroit Lake, where there is a sandy swimming beach. Fishing opportunities abound from the shoreline and wooden fishing pier.
15. Located close to Detroit Lake Marina, Detroit Flats Day Use Area is a great spot for picnicking, swimming or kayaking. There’s also a boat ramp.
16. Thirty minutes from Salem, North Fork Park, in Lyons, Oregon, has a swimming hole and sandy beach on the Little North Fork of the Santiam River. The park is open through Oct. 31.
17. Farther up the Santiam River, Bear Creek park has trails that wind through the park and down to the riverbank to a deep pool. There is also an onsite campground with 15 campsites, fire pits and hiking trails.
18. Located just outside of the Opal Creek Scenic Recreation Area is Salmon Falls Park, where the Little North Fork of the Santiam River drops nearly 30 feet to a pool below. The scenic area is forested and is ideal for summer picnicking, fishing and water activities.
19. The swimming hole at Scotts Mills Park, located on Butte Creek, sits below a natural rock waterfall. Open through Oct. 31, the park also has picnic tables, playground equipment and fishing opportunities.
20. At Silver Falls State Park, swimming is permitted only in designated areas. These designated areas include the base of Upper North Falls and a swim beach located in South Falls Day Use Area along Silver Creek. Guests of Silver Falls Lodge and Conference Center can also enjoy an in-ground swimming pool in the summer months.
Know before you go:
- While temperatures may be warm outside, water temperatures can be much cooler. Frigid temperatures and swift-moving waters can lead to dangerous conditions.
- Lifeguards are not present at all locations listed.
- Adult supervision is required at some swimming pools.
*The swimming area featured in the main image is Scout Lake at Jefferson Park