Posted September 21, 2020
We are devastated by the loss of life, homes and businesses due to the wildfires that have decimated the Santiam River Canyon area (in Marion County, east of Salem). This is a huge loss for our region, and our hearts go out to our neighbors, friends and families affected by this tragedy. The destruction caused by the fires will have an unprecedented impact on our region’s tourism industry. While officials continue to assess the damage and provide updates, we want to express our deepest gratitude to everyone who has stepped up to offer assistance and support to the Santiam River Canyon and area residents who were displaced by the fires.
We will continue to provide information as it becomes available. Please be advised:
- Hwy 22 from MP 22 to MP 81 remains closed in both directions.
- All recreation offerings across the Willamette National Forest are closed including campgrounds, day use areas, trails and boat ramps.
- Silver Falls State Park is temporarily closed. Campgrounds in the park are expected to remain closed through September 30.
- Air quality has been upgraded to "moderate" and "good" levels throughout most of the Salem region.
- Some businesses may alter operations or hours due to the fire weather conditions. Please check individual business websites and call ahead prior to visiting.
Below is a list of resources to help you make informed travel decisions:
- Marion County Alerts & Evacuations
- Oregon Wildfire Resources
- Oregon Road Closures & Delays
- Oregon Road Closure Status Map
- Willamette Valley Travel Alerts & Resources
- Oregon Travel Alerts
- State of Oregon Fires & Hotspots Dashboard
- The Statesman Journal (daily newspaper covering Salem)
How to Help:
- Salem Area Volunteer Opportunities
- The American Red Cross, Cascades Region
- United Way of the Mid-Willamette Valley
- Santiam Canyon Wildfire Relief Fund
Disaster Assistance for Businesses & Residents: